Wednesday, February 2, 2011

3 Weeks Post Surgery. Then and Now

6am headed to pre-op. All smiles
6am on Tuesday Jan. 11 Mariama and I checked in and headed to pre-op. I was feeling great! I felt pure joy that the day had finally arrived.

It took a few hours to prep. I must have spelled my name and gave my birthdate to about 10 people who made sure I was the Thea donating her left kidney.

Nick, Joe, Eliza wait with me
  I loved the anesthesiologist. She was cool and when they started coming at me with big needles to administer blood thinners, Amy was there with "Momma's Little Helper!" After 2 minutes of liquid valium....I was completely relaxed. At 8:30am I was wheeled into the operating room. A bit more prep and with a few deep breaths it was sleepy time!



One last kiss before "go time."
I woke in post op at about 11:30am. Feeling groggy but good. Glad that it every thing went great. There were no complications and I was on my way to recovery. Mariama was still in surgery when I woke but after an hour or so the nurse told me she had just gotten out of surgery and everything went very well. The kidney was working for her instantly. I was so pleased!

Over the next several days I felt pain from the incision and nausea and dizziness from the medication. Extreme thirst, lack of appetite and constipation.  I was told I was going to experience extreme fatique and I did. That was caused by my body's adjustment from two kidney's to one. So I slept alot which, if anyone knows me, is one of my favortie things to do. Nick stayed by my side the enitre time.

Thea and Oneta
                                               
I checked out of the hospital on Friday but was offered a generous stay at the Boston Westin by Oneta and Jon Bobbett. The Westin's Heavenly Bed is HEAVENLY. Room Service was DEVINE! There were still Nick and my blended 8 kids to manage when I got home and Oneta also made sure that when I got home, my house was clean and orderly so that I would have nothing to worry about.

My girl friend Diana came by with groceries which was so very helpful. Melinda stopped by with various breads and Nick is a constant provider always at my beck and call. I am very grateful to all of you.

One week post op I had my check up and everything went well. I was right on track. The only challenge I experienced is a job I had been waiting for over 1 year wanted to interview me 2 days after I got home. The timing was interesting. I was still nauseous, dizzing and in pain. The position was very demanding and I needed to be at my best. I went on the interview and decided not to tell them what I had just been through. I wasn't at the top of my game at that time. I didn't get the job! Maybe there will be another opportunity at another time.

It's now 3 weeks later (Feb 2) and I feel better and better every day. I'm no longer on pain medication and I'm not feeling as tired. I can laugh, sneeze, cough and clear my throat without pain shooting through my body. Mariama just called me from the hospital. She was admitted last night (Feb 1). She is very tired and dehydrated as the medications are causing vomiting and extreme diarrhea. The doc's will hydrate her and get her back on track and on her feet as soon as possible. 

My birthday is coming on Feb 7th. We're thinking about having a Super Bowl Birthday bash on Sunday Feb 6th. What a celebration of life and love that will be. Not exactly sure who I will cheer for. I just want to watch a good game. Well, maybe the Steelers :-)

Love To ALL!





1 comment:

  1. Soooooo good to hear from you and to hear the news. Those job people don't know what they're missing out on. You're always in the right place at the right time anyway. Love you Thea <3

    ReplyDelete