Monday, November 1, 2010

The Kidney Thing: How it all began

It’s true. I've decided to donate a kidney to a beautiful woman from Niger Africa. Some people think it's a completely crazy thing to do. But to me it is a "no brainer."  I wasn't sure if I would write anything about this experience. However, through my vast research on kidney donation I learned it may be of benefit to others who may be considering doing the same.  Reading other blogs has helped me tremendously. I will pay it forward. Over the next few weeks, I'll try to write about my experience so far and after the transplant operation, what it was like. Besides, I can hardly think of anything else. So here it goes....

I met Mariama Kotundi Salifou September 25, 2010 at her nephew Jaden's birthday party. My 9 year old son Theo and Jaden play on the same football team.  It was a gorgeous Fall Saturday afternoon in New England. Theo zipped off to play with his football buddies and Nick and I were left to decide if we should stay or go home. The gracious hostess Oneta offered a glass of wine "white or red?" she asked. That's all I needed to make the decision to stay.

We met parents, friends and relatives. When Mariama presented herself, she was greeted with lots of loving concern about her health. She appeared tired yet friendly. She sat in the chair next to me on the outdoor patio. After the initial pleasantries I was curious as to why there was so much concern about her health and I asked several probing questions. Mariama politely and quietly told me she had been in the hospital just a few days earlier, near death. The reason for the hospitalization was her kidneys were not functioning. She continued to tell me that she had a heart attack about 1 year earlier which required a process of dye injection into her and this caused damage to her kidney's. She was on a national list to find a kidney donor.

 
Instantly the thought came to my head "Well, Thea you have always been healthy. Offer to test for compatibility." After she told me her blood type which happened to match mine exactly, I glanced at Nick who was speaking with someone on the across the table, smiled and without hesitation I offered to Mariama that I'd like to test for compatibility.  She smiled with a shy, embarrassed smile, as if she thought I was insane. She wasn't taking me seriously.  However, throughout the next several hours, I reminded Mariama to tell me what I needed to do to see if I was a donor match. Even after I was ridiculed by her brother Jon, I wrote down my number and asked her to call me if she would accept my offer to investigate the process.

Note to self: When I was a very young girl, my Father Theodore Roosevelt Broadus died from the long term effects of diabetes, kidney failure.

5 comments:

  1. A true act of love...but I have come to know that about you <3. Please let me know how I can help you and your family (and Mariama's). I can taxi children, clean houses, make calls etc. Unfortunately I am not a good cook or I would stock your fridge like friends did for me, but I am sure there are many other ways to help. I will gladly do anything needed. You are both in my prayers!
    Love,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thea,
    God sent you to save my Big Sister's life. Mariama and I grew-up together and our adopted Mother was a Baptist Missionary from Southern Ohio. I've been sick worried about her health since this whole thing started and there was nothing I could do as we do not have the same blood group. One of my son's offered his kidney if it could help her; as you can see, every one was very concerned about her health and all we could do was wait for a miracle or the bad news.
    God bless you Thea

    Moussa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thea,
    You are truly a God send. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how I could help Mariama. I would have loved to give her one of my kidneys, but unfortunately, my 2 year old son underwent a liver transplant last year and I was the donor. Recovery was long and painful, but it was the most fulfilling thing I have ever done and I would do it over and over again if it meant saving a life. I also learnt so much from the experience. I am so happy you stepped in. Just following progress on Mariama's illness over the years has been difficult. Being so far away and worrying that there will be no breakthrough is grueling. Thank you cannot begin to express the gratitude I feel for what you are doing for Mariama. I look forward to hearing all the positive reports as you both undergo the surgery.

    May you be abundantly blessed.

    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Thea! You are an answer to my many, many prayers! God is so good. My sister met Mariama in Niger, and they have been close friends for years. Mariama is a special person to our family and we all love her very much. I can't thank you enough for this gift...I don't know you, but I do know you are a wonderful, special person, an answer to our prayers, and a blessing to all of us who know and love Mariama! Thank you, and thank you for this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Thea! What a wonderful and loving act; you have answered the prayers of so many of us. Mariama has graced countless people with her kindness, her cheerfulness, and her love--I am blessed to count myself among them. I am grateful to you and your expansive generosity of spirit.
    Thank you, Thea.

    Love,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete